Moving abroad

If you are leaving to live abroad for a period longer than 8 months - within 1 year - you have to register this with the municipality.

It is not required for this period to be continuous. This declaration has to be made on the day of your departure or 5 days prior at the most. You will be deregistered at your address. You need to include your new address or temporary address abroad in your registration. The municipality will inform agencies that are connected to the Municipal Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen, BRP), such as the Tax Authority or a pension fund, of your departure abroad.


You can register your departure abroad in person at the Civil Affairs Department. An appointment is required for this.

Make an appointment

If not all occupants of an address are leaving to live abroad, all departing persons, minors included, will have to be present in person at the counter to register their departure.

Documents you must provide

When you register your departure abroad, you will need to provide a valid proof of identity

Notify city by post

Use the form register to another country (PDF 68 kB). You can sent the form to: Gemeente Arnhem, Afdeling Burgerzaken, Postbus 9029, 6800 EL Arnhem. Please include a copy of your passport or identity card.

Proof of deregistration

If you register your change of address to a country abroad on the day of your departure, you can request immediate proof of deregistration for a surcharge. If you register your change of address at an earlier time, but no later than 5 days prior to your departure, it is possible to send the proof of registration to your new address abroad.

This excerpt is only free of charge for people who are moving to countries that are, or used to be, part of the Netherlands Antilles: St. Maarten, Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, St. Eustatius and Saba. For all other countries, the legal fee of € 11,80 will be charged.

If you would like proof of deregistration after you have been deregistered, you can request this certificate from one of the municipalities with an RNI registration service. These municipalities are Alkmaar, Almelo, Amsterdam, Breda, Den Haag, Doetinchem, Eindhoven, Groningen, Goes, Heerlen, Leeuwarden, Leiden, Nijmegen, Rotterdam, Terneuzen, Utrecht, Venlo and Zwolle.