Information for Ukrainian refugees

Registration & Enrollment

Registration & moving 

If you live in the Netherlands, you must register with the municipality in the Personal Records Database (BRP). You are eligible if you:

  • have Ukrainian nationality or 
  • a permanent Ukrainian residence permit, or 
  • an Ukrainian asylum permit (temporary or permanent)
  • and you can prove this with valid documents.

After your registration, you will receive a Citizen Service Number (BSN). This is a unique personal number that you need, so that you are entitled to living allowance, care or education. 

Make an appointment

Registration in the BRP is in the town hall of the city of Arnhem. Do you have a partner and/or children who also need to be registered? Then they should come with you. 

You can make an appointment via the button below. 

  1. Click on '1. Choose a service' at: First registration NL, from Ukraine
  2. Scroll down and then choose a date and time in the next steps. Fill in your details and click on 'make an appointment'.

Make an appointment

Bring this with you to the appointment

To be able to register, you must bring the following documents:

  • A valid identity document (e.g. a passport or an identity card).
  • For a nationality other than Ukrainian: proof that you were in possession of a valid Ukrainian permanent residence permit or an Ukrainian asylum permit (temporary or permanent) on February 23, 2022.
  • If available, your birth certificate, marriage certificate and/or divorce certificate.
  • A statement from the owner or main resident (pdf, 72kB), with a copy of a valid id of the owner or main resident.    

If you do not have documents that can prove that you have Ukrainian nationality, please contact the embassy in The Hague.


Within the Netherlands

If you move from a municipality shelter to another municipal shelter within Arnhem, you will be helped by an employee of the location to pass on the move.


Are you moving abroad? Let us know that you are moving. Find more information on the page 'Relocation abroad'.

Proof of residence

Are you registered in the municipality Arnhem and does the Temporary Protection Directive apply to you? Then you can get proof of residence from the Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND). The proof of residence is a sticker in the passport or on a loose paper. Or a pass (O-document). Only with proof of residence can you live and work in the Netherlands. Children under the age of 14 do not need proof of residence to live in the Netherlands.

To receive proof of residence, make an appointment with the IND

Are Ukrainians allowed to work here? 

You may work or study here. To do so, you need the following items:

  • Citizen Service Number (BSN): the BSN you get when you are registered in the Basisregistratie Personen (BRP). Look for more information at the page "Can refugees from Ukraine register with the municipality of Arnhem?". 
  • Bank account number: for more information see the page 'Living expenses for Ukrainian refugees'.
  • A functioning mail and phone number on which you can be easily contacted, also via whatsapp, by authorities and the employer.

How long may Ukrainian refugees reside lawfully in the Netherlands? 

Residents of Ukraine can enter the Netherlands with, but also without a visa, thanks to the Association Agreement that the EU concluded with Ukraine in 2017. You can stay here for a period of 90 days, with the possibility of a simple extension of 90 days. Therefore, it is not necessary for you to submit an asylum application in order to be allowed to reside lawfully in the Netherlands. Moreover, it has been agreed that residents of Ukraine who exceed the maximum periods, in relation to the current situation, will not encounter any problems as a result.

Documents needed for the appointment:

  • Proof of identity (e.g. a passport or an identity card), and
  • Proof that you had a valid Ukrainian residence permit on 23 February 2022.
  • A declaration by the owner or principal occupant (pdf, 72kB), with copy of a valid ID of the owner or principal occupant.

Residence of non-Ukrainians with temporary Ukrainian residence permit 

On March 4, 2023, the right to protection and residence in the Netherlands will expire for people who do not have Ukrainian nationality and resided in Ukraine on the basis of a temporary Ukrainian residence permit. The people concerned will receive a letter from the IND about this matter. In Arnhem this concerns a small number of people. More information can be found on the website of IND. For questions about your personal situation, please contact Vluchtelingenwerk Arnhem​​​​​​

You are an adult, but do not have an identity card:

Unfortunately we cannot register you yet. The government is still working on an appropriate procedure for this matter. Further information will be made available as soon as possible.

Language lessons for Ukrainian refugees

From September 2022, Ukrainian refugees can take Dutch or English language lessons in Arnhem. ROC Rijn IJssel provides these lessons in collaboration with the municipality and Rozet. More information about the language lessons will follow at (Dutch) and (English).

Living allowance and banking matters

Is a refugee from Ukraine entitled to financial support from the Dutch government?

Yes, refugees from Ukraine are entitled to financial support during their temporary stay in the Netherlands. This can be requested from the Dutch Social Insurance Bank (SVB). More information on how to do so will follow as soon as possible.

Living allowance for Ukrainian refugees

Refugees from Ukraine are entitled to a living allowance in the Netherlands. This is provided by the municipality where they reside. More information about this can be found on the page 'Living allowance for Ukrainian refugees'.

Change up hryvnia banknotes

It is no longer possible for refugees from Ukraine to exchange hryvnia into euros. 

Filing a tax return

If you work in the Netherlands, you can file a tax return every year from March 1, onwards. Some Dutch people receive a letter that they must file a declaration before May 1. If you need help, you can make an appointment at a tax office at any time. Make an appointment on Bring an interpreter who can help you translate. 

Would you like help filling in your declaration? Then always arrange a DigiD authorization code first. Without this authorization code, we cannot help you at the counter. To file the tax return, the tax authorities need your papers. Make an appointment on Bring an interpreter who can help you translate.

Health (insurance)

As of July 1, 2022, all Ukrainian refugees will fall under the Regulations on Medical Displaced Persons from Ukraine (RMO). Basic care and dental care for acute pain complaints (up to 250 euros) fall under this scheme.
Ukrainian refugees who work no longer need to take out health insurance. If they had previously taken out health insurance, it will automatically stop as of August 2022. Any healthcare allowance that has been applied for will also automatically stop as of August 2022.


How can you get cheap/free clothes?

You are welcome at the Salvation Army for free clothing on Wednesday afternoons from 13.00 to 15.30. The address is Kadestraat 1 in Arnhem. Make an appointment in advance via +31 6 44 26 97 45 or +31 6 44 11 07 39. Your host family, if you are staying there, is welcome to come with you.

Are you staying with a host family? You can also visit the Kledingbank, mail in advance to Indicate in your e-mail how many people you come with, and what the dates of birth are. You will then receive an email with a date and an address where you can go. Bring proof of identity, if you have one

Contact and information

Where can Ukrainian refugees obtain information and answers to their questions? 

For more information, visit Refugees from Ukraine can contact the municipality to obtain information and if they have any questions via

Consultation hour Vluchtelingenwerk Nederland

Vluchtelingenwerk is also available for Ukrainian refugees who reside in Arnhem. Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday there is a free consultation hour from 10.00 to 12.00. Together with an interpreter, Vluchtelingenwerk tries to guide refugees as well as possible and to find an answer or solution to all kinds of questions. The address of Vluchtelingenwerk in Arnhem is Nieuwe Oeverstraat 120. 

CoCo app

If you would like to meet other Ukrainians in Arnhem, take a look at the CoCo app. It is easy to organize a meeting.

Help with laws and regulations in the Netherlands

In the Netherlands there are various social laws and regulations that you may encounter on a daily basis. This includes tax assessments, allowances, benefits, subsidies, laws or other regulations. Do you have questions about this? Then you can contact ‘Goed Geregeld’. You can visit the Rijnstad consultation hours both by telephone and at the office. See Sociaal Raadslieden | Questions about social laws and regulations | Rijnstad. Always arrange a DigiD first. Also bring an interpreter or write on a note what kind of help you need.